Sometimes, some companies go ’round and ’round hitting the bush, slowly and steadily increasing the size of phones. We end up calling them Phablets. But Asus wants to jump over this. And so, it announced not just a Padfone 2 successor, in the form of Padfone Infinity, but they also have this new thing called Fonepad.
The Padfone Infinity comes with a 5.0″, 1920×1080 display, a 13 MP camera and a 10.1″ dock, the screen of which has been upgraded to a resolution of 1920×1200 pixels. The Padfone Infinity also comes with an upgraded processor, Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 600, a quad core processor, clocked at 1.7 GHz, along with an Adreno 320 GPU.
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with a custom UI on top
- 5.0″ IPS+ LCD touchscreen, full HD resolution (1920×1080), ~441 PPI
- 1.7 GHz Quad core Snapdragon 600 processor, Adreno 320 GPU
- 13 MP main camera, LED flash, 1080p recording at 30 FPS, 720p recording at 60 FPS; front facing 2 MP camera
- 2 GB RAM, 32 GB / 64 GB internal memory, non-expandable
- Wi-Fi a/ac/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC
- 2,400 mAh battery on the phone, dock comes with a 5,000 mAh battery
It packs a lot of punch, certainly. It’s got the best specs mostly, but how it performs in real life, that remains to be seen.
And if you are excited already, let me confuse you. Asus also announced a tablet named Fonepad, because it made perfect sense to confuse its small set of customers. Oh well.
There’s not a lot of exciting stuff happening here – it’s a 7″ tablet that can do calls and SMS.
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- 7.0″ IPS LCD display, 1280×800 pixels, ~216 PPI
- 1.2 GHz single core Intel Atom Z2420 processor, PowerVR SGX540 GPU
- 3.2 MP camera on the back (only in APAC); front facing 1.2 MP camera
- 1 GB RAM, 8 GB / 16 GB internal memory, expandable with a microSD card up to 32 GB
- Wi-Fi b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 3.0
- 4,270 mAh battery, microSIM
So, it’s pretty ordinary. However, in the APAC region, there will only be 8 GB internal memory, but with a 3.2 MP camera. In the Europe, the 3.2 MP camera goes missing, but gets a internal memory bump to 16 GB.