How To Really Get Facebook Home On Your Unsupported Device [Hint: Root Required]
Facebook has today made its new launcher, Home, available on the Google Play Store. It looked pretty neat back when they’d announced it, and it looked neat enough when I played with it. However, it’s currently US-only, and only available on a bunch of devices (for reasons known only to Facebook. Other devices are pretty much capable of running it, and it worked great on my Galaxy Nexus.).
But you’re from another part of the world, and want to try it on your device, and it’s not supported yet? Fret not. Here’s a small tutorial to get your trouble solved. Root is required for this.
- Get the Facebook Home .apk from here.
- Go into /system. You’ll find a build.prop text file there. Make a backup of that.
- Open it in a text editor on your device. I used Solid Explorer’s built-in editor for the purpose.
- Edit the following values –
- Replace your device’s name/value with GT-I9300, is what I’m saying.
- Reboot. Install Facebook Home and open it. Boom.
That will be all. Also noteworthy is that Facebook had updated its main app and the Messenger app, readying them for the Home launch. As it happens, you don’t need Facebook Home to use Chat Heads. It comes with the Messenger app update.
Thanks to @sirajsoft for the .apk file!
The app is available here in the Play Store.