Samsung Galaxy S4 Is Official – Faster, Thinner, Better
Samsung has made the Galaxy S4 official today, at an event held in NYC. It comes with a 5.0″ Super AMOLED display of 1080p resolution, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and featuring the Exynos 5 Octa chipset. There will be another version for some markets, where the Exynos 5 Octa chipset will be replaced with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 – 4 cores of Krait 300 and Adreno 320 GPU.
There is a 13 MP camera on the back, and a 2 MP unit on the front. Samsung is hyping up the camera, saying it can click more than 100 pictures in 4 seconds. You can then use some of these photos to composite a single image to eliminate oddities you don’t like. This sounds a bit like Nokia’s Smartshoot, although the number of images taken is way more.
There’s another feature mimicking one more Nokia feature – Cinemagraph. You can create GIF images, and Samsung calls it Cinema Photo. There’s one more interesting feature though – Samsung has added the capability to capture images from both the front and back cameras at the same time. I can see this being a bit useful.
There’s more – you can capture 9-second clips with sound, ala HTC Zoe (debuted on the HTC One). There’s an IR blaster too, if you’d like to use your phone as a remote control with your appliances.
Coming to the specs -
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with TouchWiz on top
- 5.0″ Super AMOLED display of full HD resolution (1920×1080), 441 PPI
- Exynos 5 Octa Chipset – 4 A-15 cores clocked at 1.6 GHz, 4 A-7 cores clocked at 1.2 GHz; PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU (OR) Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 chipset – 4 Krait 300 cores, Adreno 320 GPU
- 13 MP camera, LED flash, full HD recording at 30 FPS; front facing 2.1 MP camera
- 2 GB RAM, 16 / 32/ 64 GB internal memory, expandable upto 64 GB with a microSD card
- Wi-Fi ac/a/b/g/n, LTE, DLNA, Hotpsot, NFC, USB OTG, Infrared, Bluetooth 4.0
- 2600 mAh battery
Samsung has said that the device will become available in April. The device will be available in White and Black colours initially.