Cheesy title perhaps. But such was the frenzy on the day two of Mix ’11. Microsoft announced some awesome stuff, that included Multitasking, sensor access for the devs and some 1500 new APIs. I’m trying to be very brief and to the point here, so you don’t get confused!
- Application multitasking for background processing, audio and file transfer, and fast application switching
- Deeper phone integration so apps can, for example, take better advantage of the versatility of Live Tiles
- Access to the camera and Motion Sensor library so developers can build apps that incorporate device hardware and build augmented reality experiences
For the end users –
- Jump lists to access apps easily
- Smoother scrolling
- Live Agents
- Number of countries where apps can be purchased raised to 35
- Language support added for 16 more languages
- The IE9 browser for WP has the same codecs of the desktop version’s.
Also, several apps like Skype, Layar AR Browser, Spotify, Kik Messenger and Angry Birds will be coming to Windows Phone along with the Mango update scheduled for this fall. Awesome stuff, Microsoft. However, I just think that it’s a bit late. Somewhere around August-September could have sweetened the deal, isn’t it? Nevertheless, it’s quite good.
Image credits Globalnerdy